LATEST HOME TUTORS
BLOG: LATEST POST
This article is written by Matthias Sim from RinggitPlus.com. The link to the article is here http://bit.ly/1EPWShC
Tuition centers are, like they say in Malay, “bagai cendawan tumbuh selepas hujan”: roughly translated to meaning “like mushrooms growing after the rain”. From full-fledged centres to private tuition and even ad-hoc sessions in McDonalds; they are really everywhere. But where there is supply, there must be demand.
Previously, the idea catered to weaker students who needed extra help, but today, tuition classes have become the norm in a society where education is highly competitive and parents are no longer satisfied with relying on school teachers. However, tuition classes don’t come cheap, especially when there are many subjects, but parents are still willing to pay tidy sums for it.
Money for extra education
With limited space in good tertiary education institutions; parents want their child to stay academically competitive. Some say they have no faith in the education system here with the general consensus being that it is not up to par to other countries. Furthermore, for many parents, scoring A’s take paramount consideration over any other achievement and they thus strive to push their children into the path of academic excellence.
Let us say the number of times an average parent sends their child for tuition is 3 times a week. Average costs for tuition centers and private tuition would be RM110-RM150 per person per month or RM40-RM80 per subject depending on the centre. More prominent centres naturally cost more.
Mrs Chin, from Petaling Jaya, sends her daughter aged 13, for tuition classes and gymnastics for 7 days a week.
“I spend roughly about RM1020 a month for her tuition fees, and other curricular activities. It made me cut back on my spending but to know she’s getting the best for her education and with her being one of the top students in her school, I can safely say it is money worth spending. Moreover, she has won gymnastic tournaments and the hectic academic schedule has made her more disciplined.”
But not everyone spends as much. Arnold S sends his sons for tuition but only for select classes. “The total cost for the two of them is around RM340 per month. They are good boys overall and are only weak in 1-2 subjects. I send them only for those subjects and the price is RM50 for language subjects and RM70 for more technical subjects like Mathematics and Science. I don’t think they need the rest. RM340 is hard enough for us as my wife doesn’t work.”
But just like Mrs Chin, Arnold agrees that it is necessary. “School is not enough. I don’t want to be negative so I won’t criticise anyone. I will just say that my boys need the classes for their future.”
Faridah is more outright with her viewpoint. “My girl’s teachers are really not good enough. I couldn’t afford to send her for tuition in all subjects and a friend helped out. She pays for my daughter to have good additional mathematics tuition at RM400 per month. On top of that, I spend another RM140 to send her for two other subjects. I don’t feel we have a choice looking at what (kind of teachers) she has to contend with at school.”
It would seem that despite serious levels of inflation, many Malaysians still send their children for tuition classes and are willing to pay the price. It begs the question: is it just the paranoia of the people or truly an education system that’s so terribly broken?
This article brought to you by Matthias Sim from RinggitPlus.com. We believe all Malaysians should have access to free, accurate and independent personal finance information.
FROM PARENTS FROM STUDENTS FROM TUTORS
- “ Ahmad Hambal Noorsham is a very dedicated and responsible tutor. His great knowledge in Maths, Add Maths and Physics has enabled him to teach in more effective ways, methods and approach. Furthermore, he is a very good user of English language, where every explanation was conveyed fluently, appropriately and accurately to ensure student’s complete understanding. With all the mentioned qualities, I truly believe that he is able to help his students to achieve excellent results in any examination. As for me, I’m blessed to be able to know him when my son, Mohd Haqeem, needs the most assistance and attention in his Add Maths and Physics for his SPM exam. Tutor Hambal has managed to instill confidence in my son. With his encouragement and effort, my son was able to achieve distinction in both subjects. As a mother, I'm truly grateful and may Allah bless you, Tutor Hambal. Once again thank you. ” Norma Haji Hambali, Kota Damansara, Petaling Jaya.
- “ Tutor Hambal has taught my son, Alif in 2010/2011 in Modern Maths as well as Add Maths. The one to one tuition session enabled my son to understand the materials better and with the improved knowledge he was able to apply the concepts in solving any Mathematical problems. His great success in SPM 2011 especially in Modern/ Add Maths is attributed to Tutor Hambal's experience and expertise in both subjects. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for the high level of commitment shown during the period. ” Puan Julinah, Kota Damansara, Petaling Jaya.
- “ Having one to one tuition sessions with Mrs Yap, I managed to overcome my difficulties in Maths. He prepared what was needed beforehand and patiently went through the questions that I wasn’t sure. He gave informative notes and explained well. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his good tutoring over this short period of two months ” Rowena, Shah Alam
- " I had classes with cikgu from Form 3 to Form 5, and I have to say I like the atmosphere of the class. Very relaxed but still comprehensive. For my first Add Maths exam I got a D. Alhamdulillah with Cikgu Zainal's help I sat for SPM and scored an A+! " Siti Shyakina Mokhsein, SMDU, SPM 2011 ( Add Maths: A+)
- “I like TutorKami as it is very easy to search and get latest information about tuition jobs. So far I have been succesfull in getting hired by 5 parents. Thanks TutorKami! ” Cikgu Sakinah, Ayer Keroh
- “TutorKami.com is a strongly recommended site for those who are searching for full time/part time job as tutors. This site offers a great service and provides a user-friendly interface too.Frankly, as a new tutor, TutorKami had helped me a lot by professionally guiding me on how to be a good tutor. Thanks to Mr. Hambal, I am now enjoying my part time job. This is a must-not-miss opportunity for fresh grads and unemployed teachers to generate side income whilst contributing to our local educational achievement. " Anas Al-Ansari, Jitra, Kedah